Monday, March 3, 2008

Becoming a patient

I recently had the opportunity to experience our health care system from the eyes of a patient. Lets just say, it wasn't pretty.


The other morning I was finishing a shower, when I started feeling really hot and lightheaded. Worrying about passing out, I got out of the shower, and called to a friend who happened to be over. I walked back into my bedroom, sat on my desk chair (my dog happened to be sleeping on my bed) and tried to take some slow deep breaths. Whatever was happening, was progressing, and I remember saying "Please don't be scared." I then slumped back into my desk chair, went unconscious and had about a 15 second seizure like activity. All of which, I have no memory of. I woke up and, although scared and very embarrassed, was doing alright. But to be on the safe side, I went into the emergency department to make sure.

They were able to get me back really quickly (one of the perks of being in the medical field!), but they set me up in a hallway bed which was a bit annoying since I know a lot of people who work in the hospital---Emergency docs, surgical residents, med students, medicine residents, psych residents, etc. All were stopping to ask how I was doing, very nice, but embarrassing. Luckily I was put next to a very entertaining psych patient who kept me and the family all entertained while I waited 5 hours for blood work, urine tests, EKG, Chest Xray, Head CT and a neuro consult. After all that I was diagnosed with a syncopal episode which lead to a seizure---a very lucky diagnosis because it means I can still drive. (if it was a seizure event I wouldn't be allowed behind the wheel for 6 months!) The bill?? Still undetermined until I hear from my insurance company--but I'm interested to see what that'll cost me.

All in all, not a fun experience. But those folks in the hospital took good care of me. I know its not that way for every patient, but I hope it is for most.

1 comment:

Zac said...

glad to hear you're ok!