Monday, August 25, 2008

Selling my soul part 2


I've said it once, I've said it a million times, but I have FINALLY made a choice about what kind of doc I'm set out to be. (have I already posted this?) Anyway, just so the record is straight--I am applying for the combined Emergency Pediatric Residency programs (there is only 3) and then Emergency on top of that. It all sounds so simple, but after a year of liking almost everything, and then changing my mind every 3 days or so, you would think I could catch a break once I made a decision, but this application business is anything but.

ERAS, or Electronic Residency Application Service, is where the thousands of medical students send in their first 3.5 years in hopes to land their dream residency. Whats interesting to me, we go through these ass kicking years, thinking we're working so hard, signing up for extra projects, etc etc, when in reality we're just like every other medical student out there. Signing up for the extra stuff, studying your butt off to honor every rotation except one (TRUE STORY!), turning down social events, saying no to your family---is no big deal when you are compared to everyone who is just like yourself. The residency has already heard of it before. About 500 times before.

So how do you stand out? What will make me special? I actually know of a medical student who started hiking (she went 2 times) in order to have something to say at the interview when they asked about hobbies. (saying it now makes me want to puke) As I fill out my personal statement and my resume I think about the random things that I wish I could add: making good luck cards for every class member for a year, organizing several trips to mexico, camping, lake tahoe, planning dog park days, surprise parties (x2), etc etc etc. I wonder if the 60-somethings attendings on the admission committees will appreciate that stuff. Somehow I doubt it.

1 comment:

Dragonfly said...

Awesome. Let us know how it goes!! Good luck with it.