Monday, September 24, 2007

First day in lala land!

So today was my first day as "psychiatrist in training". For the most part it was awesome----I got there at 9 am and I left by 2:15pm. I only had to make one phone call. We saw 6 pts and I just sat and listened to the attending interview each patient. It was relaxing---I was in a nice big comfy chair and just listened to people's stories. They even gave me a lunch break. But sitting around all day would drive me crazy so I'm just going to enjoy it for the next 6 weeks.

Never having much experience interviewing and treating psych patients I was surprised the by the way the doc took a stance on some things. For example, there was a pt hearing voices (which told her to jump off a building and commit suicide) and going through dissociative periods. Today, she was really anxious about the idea her parents will die someday. She said that's all that she could think about. In response, the doc told her that "none of us are ever really separated by the ones we love. In heaven* we are all joined together so you can look forward to that." All I could think was you're giving a suicidal pt one more reason to take the plunge......

Overall, it was a good day! I'm on call tonight so we'll see how that goes.


*the doc later told me he usually never talks about religion but he knew that she was religious so he went that route.

No comments: