Friday, February 1, 2008

frusteration builds.....

Recently we got a patient who is well known for leaving AMA (against medical advice). She continues to pop her hip out of place, get surgery, and then just when we're about to send her to an inpatient rehab, she leaves AMA. This has happened 4 times. None of the nurses like her; the case manager is ready to pull her hair out when we ask her to find placement; and now the surgeon refuses to fix her hip again.

Now I can understand the frusteration. I can't imagine doing this over and over and over and over. But guess what? Thats what we do anyway---its just on different patients. So part of me thinks, just suck it up and do your job. We're here to help people. That's what we signed up for. Residents, nurses, case managers get paid the same amount every year and it doesn't matter who we help, how many we help, etc. So you can understand why I got tiffed when the case manager said, "And just think-- Hillary Clinton is going to tell us we have to do this for everyone!!! Like hell I am! I am retiring if that happens."

I guess I just don't understand why it matters. People could care less if a medical student delivers their baby, and yet, the idea of everyone having an oppertunity to get well again by having health care available to all, absolutely freaks people out.

A person is a person is a person. Now make the f-ing phone call and get Ms AMA inpatient rehab.

No comments: