Thursday, May 22, 2008

selling my soul....

So in continuing themes of hot debate, I decided to discuss the whole pharm rep thing this week.

I started my family rotation---I'm at a clinic on the south side of town which means I see a lot of patients who do not have much money, especially for medications, and most of them are on 4 or 5 chronic meds. This gets pretty pricey. In starting this year, I signed a pharma free pledge, meaning I wouldn't except anything from pharm reps except for information. I lasted 3 weeks before I accidentally ate a breakfast that was hosted by some pharm company ( I had no idea at the time). Since then, I've had a couple of lunches here and there. As much as I hate it, I am broke, and its nice not to have to buy my lunch everyday. But at the same time I know it increases prices of the meds to my patients.

Apparently, at the clinic I'm working at they have pharm lunches everyday. The entire staff partakes. Today was a half day for me, but the person I was working with really wanted to "support" the pharm rep because "it must be really difficult to be a pharm rep." So I stayed. I wanted to see this person eating up everything they had to say as well as their free lunch. We got our food, sat down and started munching away while the pharm reps asked the doc how she was doing, what her plans were for the summer, how her kids were, etc. I finally piped up and asked how their bisphosphate drug compared to calcium and vitamin D supplements. They quoted a couple of studies and then discussed how pharm reps weren't allowed in several clinics around town, and how this was the detriment to medicine. I didn't really listen then---It was the first time I've ever questioned a pharm rep---I usually run for the hills, worried I will be consumed by the ads and free pens, but I have to say, it felt good to ask questions---kind of like it does while I'm in class.

I hope to never sell my soul, but to continue to question. I hope to not rely on drug supported lunches someday. But for now, while I'm broke, I'm going to eat and question.

1 comment:

Dragonfly said...

I remember the first time I asked a question to a rep...it was about some breast cancer treatment (aromatase inhibitor or sth) and I wanted to know the cardiac effects if it was marketed to post menopausal women....she didn't like the question at all. I felt it was kind of a milestone though...