Monday, June 2, 2008

Sometimes its painful being a med student

One of my favorite meals as a child was a rice cake with peanut butter and honey (I severely disliked jam or jelly). The other day I got a craving for my past time treat and went to the grocery store. Just as I was about to put the honey bear into my basket the word "Botulism!" started ringing in my ear. (botulism is a rare, but fatal, disease where muscles become paralyzed. It has been linked to eating honey) And even though I'm more likely to be held up at gun point after my visit to the grocery store, I couldn't bring myself to buy the honey. Curse medicine!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a medstudent too!
The Thing is, I've been reading you blog for at least the last four-six months. It's amazing!
I've been too lazy to set up a blogger account for comments to be in my name, but this time, after such a long delay, I thought it best to tell you to PLEASE keep writing.
Your stuff are the highlight of my week. or every other week!
Keep up, I'm your most loyal fan!
Cheers

Ah Jota said...

I had honey and it was delicious. I mean if you're gonna sell your soul to the drug reps, you might as well just go for the honey while your at it. C'mon...everyone else is doing it.

medstudent101 said...

can you imagine honey coming from a drug rep?? what a combination!!

Dragonfly said...

I think of that whenever I see a dodgy looking can of food (unless of course it is something acidic like tomato where C. botulinum will not survive).