Monday, June 9, 2008

what it made me think of.......

Today we had a lecture on STIs (the new acronym replaced the old STD; it stands for sexually transmitted infections)--which just so happens to be one of my favorite topics. This, I suppose, is an odd statement, and usually I keep it to myself, but in all honesty--I am FASCINATED with STIs. I like trying to figure out which one it is based on the history, and I also like treating them--most are very easily treated (minus HIV) and you get a chance to educate patients about them. So all in all, they are awesome cases for me.

Anyway!

We were discussing douching--and how some women can get a chemical irritation from basically washing away the normal bacteria from the vagina. But this is not how the doc put it. He described it as washing the normal "flora and fauna" away. This immediately made me think of a dense jungle, with lots of branches and gigantic leaves everywhere, maybe some tree snakes. What a disturbing image! Especially when you try to put that into a woman's unmentionables. And thats why, I've decided, men (and some women) have no idea what's going on down there.

No comments: