Wednesday, June 11, 2008

don't give in

I am currently reading this amazing book called Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande. It is a fascinating book and all --science or non-science minds should give it a try. Below is an excerpt from one of my favorite paragraphs--he's attempting to diagnose a person with abdominal pain:

"I am sure I can figure out whats wrong with her, but, if you think about it, that's a curious faith. I have never seen this woman before in my life, and yet I presume that she is like the others I've examined. Is it true? None of my other patients, admittedly, were 49 year old women who had had hepatitis and a drug habit, had recently been to the zoo and eaten a Fenway frank, and had come in with two days of mild lower right quadrant pain. Yet I still believe."
I still believe.

No comments: