Sunday, November 9, 2008

Interview season!


www.glasbergen.com

This week I start my first rounds of interviews. I had hoped that I could have started the interview process with a program that I wasn't hanging my life on getting into, but that is just how things go.

So in order to put my best foot forward (is it my left or right?) I've been practicing. A LOT.
I've been caught talking about myself while running along the canal. But thinking back to the really weird faces that I passed--- it is possible that I was yelling since I always listen to Boston's "More than a Feeling!" full blast while practicing (and running). It has been my theme song for fourth year---I wrote my entire personal statement while listening to this song over, and over, and over, and over (angela--you know what I'm talking about!).

I found an excellent website with practice questions. So today, on my final day off, I found an awesome coffee shop and tackled them. I was quite surprised to find the potential questions I might get asked:

* Tell me a joke.
* Teach me something non-medical in five minutes.*
* Besides medicine, how else are you intellectual?
* Present to me a patient you seen in the past, as if we were in the clinic.
* Ask yourself a question, and then answer it.

And of course the infamous: do you have any questions for me?

Now maybe these don't seem so bad just reading them over, but imagine if you just introduced yourself and the program director asks (or demands) a joke! I know that my head will go completely blank under the pressure. My plan? I'll just giggle a lot.

*I'm gonna teach that program director how to swim---that'll get him/her out of her comfort zone! I'll just have to bring a small kiddie pool....

3 comments:

PGYx said...

Questions 1, 2, 3, & 5 DO seem that bad! Fortunately you've stumbled across these from-left-field questions so you'll probably more easily field other FLL questions after exercising your brain with these.

I hope you're more likely to get open-ended questions like, "Tell me about yourself." It's nice to have a perfect sound byte for this one since it gives you freedom to shape their impression of you. Besides, it's extra bad to flub what seems like (but isn't always) the easiest question in the world!

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do well.

Unknown said...

giggle...never can go wrong with a smile :)

-The Week said...

And your joke is?