Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Multi Purpose Adhesive Tape

So today in lecture our doc showed us a bunch of pictures and asked us what we thought each one was, how to diagnose it, and how to treat it. It was a bunch of fun, mainly because some of them were tough and so we all looked like an idiot at one point.

For example, my picture looked like a huge tumor/mass in the vagina. I confidently described the mass and I opted for a biopsy it to diagnose what type of cancer it was. The doc asked how big of a biopsy I wanted. I choose a 1cm punch biopsy--standard for skin cancers. He informed me that my results were some epithelial tissue, a layer of periosteum, and then some neuronal tissue. By this point I turned bright red and replied "Sorry little baby!" It turns out that my "mass" was actually a baby being born. OOPS!

The best response came from a fellow classmate though. There was a picture of external genitalia with a large circular white lesion on it. My classmate believed it was a genital wart and so she wanted to biopsy it. Genital warts arise from a virus called HPV--the same virus that causes cervical cancer-- but there is a specific type that causes cancer and a specific type that just causes warts. Anyway, the typical treatment for genital warts is to laser or freeze them off. When my classmate was asked how she would treat this genital wart she replied with "put duct tape on it." The teacher sorta giggled, all classmates were stiffling a laugh, while I yelled out "and what? Say see me in a month?" (sometimes I loose all tact...) When the doc explained duct tape may work on feet, its not generally used on genital warts, her next treatment option was "How about Dr. Scholl's wart removal?" At this point, all of us, including the teacher, lost it.

No comments: