Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Get in my belly!!!

I know I've been in a posting slump recently so here's a mini story until I find the energy to write more......

While I was on L&D last week we had an overly obese pregnant woman who came in for a scheduled c-section. Her BMI was 39. (normal is 20-25, which may change soon b/c NIH is considering increasing the numbers since so many people are now obese by definition....) We had to tape her pannus (a hanging flap of tissue) back so we could expose her lower abdomen. After a difficult surgery (I held retraction the entire time), we got the quite large baby out (10 lbs!!)
The first thing mom said to her kid while we were sewing her back together--
"You look so cute, I could eat you right up!"

I did my best to hide my (small) giggle.

(today parentheses are my favorite)

2 comments:

Dragonfly said...

Oh dear..
Hope the baby was healthy and not macrosomic or anything.

medstudent101 said...

yes. unfortunately it was. it weighed 10 lbs 7 oz.....