Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Bonding


This morning was clinic day with Dr. S. I was pretty excited about it because Dr. S told me that we would have at least one HIV positive kid, and not to sound morbid, but I was looking forward to it, because I find HIV fascinating and I've not met a known HIV kiddo before and I wanted to learn about how they were diagnosed and what their prognosis was like, etc.

18 year old R was our first patient. I walked into the room and there sat a healthy appearing cute kid. Cute enough that I would let my daughter date him. He was polite, and answered all my questions. He was diagnosed with HIV as a small child---it was passed on perinatally meaning while his mom was pregnant. He is currently on four medications to suppress his virus*---some of which he has to take twice or three times per day adding up to at least 9 pills per day. His viral load has been undetectable for several years. Meaning he is doing great. So great that Dr. S has wanted to change his meds so that he only needs to take 2 pills per day. But R has been reluctant to do so because he is doing so well and he is worried about going downhill once he changes his meds. Pretty amazing for an 18 year old. Most 18 year olds can't even remember to brush their teeth or put on deodorant.

When Dr. S walked into the room R jumped off the table and gave him the biggest hug. I didn't start crying (that would have been my usual reaction) but I felt this over whelming joy --- like Dr. S and R had this amazing bond and all I could do was to hope that some day I would have the same bond with my patients. After their inital hellos, R opened up and told Dr. S that he was smoking 6 cigarettes per day and pot about 2 times per week. I was impressed with his honesty but sad he was headed down that road. So Dr. S and I gave him a talking to, where I suggested running instead of getting high because it is a "natural high."

And alcohol and rock n' roll will send you to hell!! Sigh..... kids probably think I live in the 1950s.


* in talking with the mom and the kiddo---I realized they knew more about antivirals and HIV therapy than I probably ever will.

1 comment:

Dragonfly said...

When it is so personal for them it is often the case. I have learned so much from some "patients" with chronic illness.