Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Having a kid is just like owning a pet.....

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/amc0336l.jpg

My first patient on Peds Infectious Disease (Peds ID) was supposed to be a kiddo who lives in the near-by bigger city. I find it absolutely amazing that the neighboring city which has about 4 million more people does not have a single Peds ID doc. Instead they have to come here or the docs from my city, go up there. Well aparently this kid doesn't even have a doc to begin with---he's been seeing a veterinarian.

He got diagnosed with MRSA---the strongest bug there is out there! Its a resistant strain of staphylococcus (a bacteria) which will definitely need some big gun antibiotics. But instead of going to a doc for this diagnosis, his family took him to a vet. Aparently, it only costs $17 per day for the kid to stay at the barn shelter. Which I guess compaired to hospital bills ---this is a fabulous deal. Why did he go to a vet in the first place? no idea. What kind of MRSA does he have? no idea. Why do I not have the vital information on this kid? Because he was a no show in clinic today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. If you're talking about the nearby big city where I live, I have worked with lots of Peds ID up here at Nearby Big City Children's Hospital.

(And my wife the veterinary critical care nurse is mystified.)

medstudent101 said...

How odd! because the peds ID docs down here make a trip up there weekly----maybe its just to meet up with your Peds Id docs??

we're all mystified!