Saturday, May 2, 2009

Growing Up


When you're ready to purchase your first house people have a lot of advice on how to go about it. Truthfully, I've appreciated all of it, because I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I have a fabulous realtor and, still, no clue on what I'm doing.

The first offer I made on a house was an embarrassing outcome. The way it works is you make up some price you are willing to pay for the property. This is generally less than the asking price. Then they can accept, reject or counter. So I got countered, but it was no where near what I had hoped to pay. So I increased my offer and re-countered. And then it was the big fat REJECTION!

Within 1 day of being rejected, I put another offer on a different house.

Its hard getting rejected when you're used to doing pretty well. I dont want to sound arrogant, but I've worked hard and you begin to feel a bit invincible (until residency starts) once you are matched. This has definitely brought me down.

One part of advice that has been absolutely impossible for me to follow is "do not get attached to the house." The only reason I can come up with is its not really yours til about a month into the process and therefore it can be taken away at ANY moment. I am about to spend a LOT of money (at least in my book) on something---I better well like it, be excited about it, and want it----how the hell do I stay aloof about it?? (maybe some males can respond to this.. ok ok...that was just mean)

So today I await for the counter on the second offer. I have been waiting for 4 days. Literally sitting on my couch. Waiting.

This has been one of the hardest weeks of my life.

1 comment:

Nelly said...

best of luck with the house offer! I must say, that even FLIRTING with the idea of getting a house is nerve-racking