Tuesday, June 30, 2009

watching it convert

I know I have said this before, but I loved my trip to Nepal. It was absolutely amazing and I would never say it wasn't worth it.

It may have not been worth it.

Today I spent several hours at my hospital being reminded of washing my hands after every patient (even after just entering the room), who the lawyers are to call when I get in a bind, and the number for the pharmacists for when I have no idea what the dosage is.

Then we got our ppd skin test. I had an inclining (ok I thought it was definitely going to happen) that I might sero-convert. This occurs when you are in contact with a patient of TB. You can either sero-convert and not get the disease, or you get the disease and sero-convert. It depends on the length of contact with the patient, the health status of the person who is exposed, the type of TB the patient had.

I had contact in Nepal almost everyday.

So this evening, while I baked cup cakes for my birthday tomorrow, I watched as the ppd test slowly enlarged over time. (dang it!!)

The next steps entail: a chest xray to prove I do not actually have active TB currently and then 9months of Isoniazid (INH) therapy. This drug does not come without heavy side effects. It can cause serious liver damage; especially if you drink while taking it.

What does that mean for me? I will be sober for a solid 9 months and I wont even get a baby out of it.

Thank you Nepal.
(I'd go back in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

3 comments:

Ah Jota said...

If it was me, I would just get pregnant just to have something to show for not drinking for 9 months. Call me old fashioned.

PGYx said...

I really hope you don't have active TB. I've been told that plenty of healthcare workers in the States eventually seroconvert secondary to exposure even though they never get the disease. I'm crossing my fingers for an uneventful 9 months of INH therapy for you!

P.S. Happy belated birthday!

Nelly said...

What?! Medstudent101 (now ERintern101?) without booze is like Popeye without his spinach. Just doesn't seem right!