Sunday, August 5, 2007

Breakfast with Mr. Webber

I am currently on my pediatric surgery rotation. To say it has been difficult is not doing it justice. But every evening I look forward to escaping the horrors of pediatric surgeons as I sleep, only to have dream after dream about scalpels, writing SOAP notes, and being yelled at as I push my patients out of their bed so I can sleep in my dream. Even dreaming is exhausting.

You can imagine my surprise when I wake up at O-dark-thirty every morning to have a collection of songs from musicals stuck in my head. In the first few days, I woke up singing different phrases from Phantom of the Opera. I was so out of it, I didn't even know I was singing the famous Andrew Lloyd Webber musical until I was on my way to the hospital. The next few days it was CATS. Followed by Les Miserables. And just when I thought I had a thing for Mr. Webber, this morning it was Rent.

What is the connection to pediatric surgery and musicals? Could it be my roommates are playing different muscials in my room as I sleep? Or have I crossed into the Twlight Zone? These are the important questions I have.

No comments: