Saturday, August 25, 2007

First call

so its been a while since i've posted ( a whole week!) and a ton has happened--its crazy how one week feels like a month on this rotation--not necessarily a bad thing just bizarre.
I was on call last tuesday night and it was INTENSE.

I, of course, am a black cloud. A couple of residents told me (kiddingly i hope) that they do not want to do call with me. Ever. Again.

Our first trauma call was at 8pm and we were non stop except for a hour from 4:30 to 5:30....then we needed to preround. We had a pick ax to the head x4, a motor cycle vs tree, motor cycle vs car head on, person vs train (3 limb amputee in the field), gunshot wound to the chest, and i think one more...all on a tuesday night.....

I was handling myself pretty well until the person vs train. He was trying to commit suicide and so when he came in he was screaming and yelling all kinds of stuff---in part because of the severe pain he was probably experiencing and in part because he realized he was still alive and was really upset about it. They quickly intubated him and I stood with my mouth on the floor, in shock as well. He was bleeding from every missing limb profusely, people were rushing all around, getting as many lines as they could into his body, pumping him as fast as they could with blood and saline. I eventually woke up from my freaked out daze, grabbed a roll of gaze, and applied pressure to his right stump avoiding the sharp shards of his tibula and fibula poking out. They got him as stable as possible and wheeled him to the OR to complete the amputations. I had several nightmares about him the following night.

my next call is tomorrow (sunday!) which should be interesting. I wonder what the max number of traumas in a 24 hour period is.....

1 comment:

Ah Jota said...

Keep up the good work Peas. I forgot what call is like. I also forgot what working past 5pm is like. Next rotation is gonna be a kick in the pants!