Thursday, August 9, 2007

change of heart

Being on peds surg I've seen some amazing things. Inguinal herinas that were so small I could hardly believe that was the reason we were operating (it was on an infant), Mastectomies for teenage boys with gynecomastica, doing crazy operations on 34 week premies. But the surgery I saw the other day took the cake. These surgeons performed a nissen---its when the doc takes the fundus (top) part of the stomach and wraps it around the esophagus and sews it together. This is done for patients with GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease); when it is medically unmanagable. They did it on an 8 month old. And guess what...they did it laparoscopically. Five tiny incisions and that was all. It was amazing.
The anatomy was incredible. I could see the tiny heart beating against the diaphragm. All the vessels along the stomach were pulsating. I was so excited about this surgery it got me thinking. I may actually go into surgery some day. (say what??) Yeah, they kicked my ass. And I did hate my life at first. But who knows......

No comments: