Saturday, October 20, 2007

the hospital

Yesterday I completed my two weeks for psych consults and this next week I start outpatient child psych. Although I am ready for a change, I am sad about leaving the hospital.

The past few weeks I realized how much I love being there. I look forward to chatting with the caf workers---they have become my friends because I eat there so often. As I roam the hospital halls I run into people I know who stop to say hello---other medical students, surgeons that I worked with last rotation, and even a couple of patients. When I descend to the basement and I walk into the emergency department, I feel at ease. Not only do I know the docs there, but I get excited about what cases could be there---anyone need stitches? an ABG? any traumas come in today???

Psych has gotten better over the past two weeks, but its definitely not for me.....I think I would be too invested and unable to separate my life from theirs. Which is why I think surgery or Emergency might be better for me---there is a degree of separation already built in.

After my psych test, I am moving to a different city to do my OB rotation. I guess new scenery will be good for me, but I'm definitely going to miss the hospital.

No comments: