Monday, October 29, 2007

ransacked

Yesterday after studying for 4 hours I decided I needed to release some energy. I got ready and left to go to the gym when I noticed my driver side door was prompt open. I opened the door completely and saw my car was ransacked. The glove box was left open, the center console opened and contents were thrown about, old gym clothes that were on the ground were thrown everywhere. Luckily few items were stolen---my ipod, a few old already expired credit cards, a few bucks that were hidden in my ashtray and my insurance card. No damage was done, well, to the vehicle.

I, on the other hand, was pretty upset. I've never had anyone steal or break into anything of mine before. I felt violated. The car was parked right in front of my house, in my driveway, literally 20 feet from my bed. There was a huge knot in my stomach, pretty much all day. And I know that I was lucky and it could have been A LOT worse, but the upset feeling was still there. I wondered why this person or people needed to break into my car---did they need money for rent? for drugs? or did they do it just for fun??? A lot of the kids I work with now have stolen to keep their habits up. I wondered if this was a future child psych patient. And I wondered how many times they will commit these types of crimes before they actually get help.

No comments: